Access to Records

A student has the right to inspect and review his/her academic record.    The student has the right to request that the College correct any part of the record that the student believes is inaccurate. If the College does not agree as to the accuracy of the record, the student may request a hearing before the Academic Appeals Committee.   If the Committee does not find for the student, the student has a right to place a statement with the record, setting forth his or her view about the contested information

Generally, MMI requires written permission from a student to release any information from a student’s education record, other than Directory Information.   However, FERPA does allow the College to disclose those records, without consent, to the following parties or under the following conditions (34 CFR § 99.31):

  • School officials with legitimate educational interest;
  • Other schools to which a student is transferring;
  • Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes;
  • Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student;
  • Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school;
  • Accrediting organizations;
  • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
  • Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies; and
  • State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific State law.