How to Apply for Financial Aid

Federal Laws and Financial Aid

The school and the federal government expect the student and their family to have primary responsibility for paying for the student’s education. The role of the school and the government is to bring costs within reach. Paying for school will entail some sacrifice on the part of the student and their family. MMI determines all need-based Financial Aid utilizing the information provided from the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form (

Note: Financial Aid requests will not be processed without a complete admissions application package.


Federal Financial Aid Resources

Ultimate Guide to the FAFSA

Marion Military Institute SCHOOL CODE = 001026

 Graduating Without Debt

Federal Financial Aid Application Procedures

Expenses for tuition, books, supplies, transportation, and miscellaneous personal costs are used in preparing annual student budgets to determine the applicant’s financial need. Each year students are required to file the U.S. Department of Education’s Application for Federal Student Aid in order to be considered for federal and non-federal aid. Applicants should apply as soon as possible after October 1.

Documents needed to complete the FAFSA

  • W-2 forms for the previous year or other records of money earned for student and parent(s).
  • Federal income tax return for the previous year. This might include IRS 1040, 1041-A, 1040EZ, or other forms. NOTE: Federal income tax returns can also be found using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the website. It is acceptable to estimate current income and amend the FAFSA application later.
  • Parent’s/federal income tax return for the previous year if the student is claimed as a dependent.
  • A spouse’s federal income tax return for the previous year, if married.
  • Current bank statements and investment records for student and parent(s)./
  • Any untaxed income records for the previous year.
  • Social Security number for student and parent(s).
  • Driver’s license or state ID.
  • Alien registration or permanent resident card, if the student is not a U.S. citizen.