- MMI operates an FAA certified Part 141 flight school based at Vaiden Field, A-08
- The program is designed with the goal of achieving a private pilot’s license (PPL)
- MMI owns three airplanes: a Cessna 172 (Skyhawk) and two Cessna 150s
- Extracurricular flight training takes place on afternoons and weekends
- Ready Room includes a FAA certified Basic Flight Training Simulator
- Start-up costs per cadet require a $1,000 deposit to cover ground school tuition, flight suits, and first flight.
- Flying Tigers then pay as they go for flight instruction, including fuel.
- The MMI Foundation awards three aviation scholarships to help offset program costs.
Contact: COL Bill Hansen, flight instructor
Basic progression of the program, from Fall to Spring semester:
* Settling into the cadet routine and taking ground school to learn basic aerodynamics
* Initial training flights to understand takeoff, climb, pitch and power
* Many touch-and-go landings to get comfortable landing the plane
* First Solo flight, “the loneliest 30 minutes of their lives,” consisting of three take offs and three full stop landings
* Cross country flights (at least 150 miles, to three different airports)
* Written and oral test with prepared flight plan, followed by check ride with examiner
* PPL awarded based on check ride performance (turns, holding altitude, parameters, landings, takeoffs, etc.)