“A Cadet Will Not Lie, Cheat or Steal.”
The purpose of the Marion Military Institute Corps of Cadets is to develop leaders of exemplary character. The Corps’ Honor Code, a code that is promulgated and enforced by the Cadets themselves, is intended to foster a commitment to the moral and ethical excellence fundamental to that leadership development.
The Honor Concept
MMI Cadets are persons of integrity; they strive to choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong and are never content with a half-truth when the whole can be won. To be a leader, one must be completely trustworthy, for leadership is built on trust, and trust is built on honor.
Goals of the Cadet Honor Code
The goals of the Cadet Honor Code are that cadets:
- Learn and practice the essential leader responsibilities of establishing a healthy ethical climate within their organizations and lives.
- Develop an understanding of the importance of integrity as an essential aspect of leadership.
- Foster a desire to maintain an honorable lifestyle in the Spirit of the Code.
- Achieve the level of commitment to honorable conduct necessary to prepare them for greater challenges to their integrity throughout a lifetime of service.
- Develop the character required of those who voluntarily take full responsibility for their decision and actions.
- Be moral-ethical examples worthy of emulation.
The Spirit of the Honor Code
To understand the ideal that cadets should strive for, they must embrace the “Spirit of the Code”. This spirit marks true leaders of character and goes beyond the simple adherence to rules. The Spirit of the Code comes from deep within truly honorable men and women through their expressed actions and demonstrated integrity. To those who accept and adhere to the Spirit of the Code, it is a way of life, not a laundry list of restrictions.
The Honor Council
- The Honor Council is charged with supervising and administering the Honor Code and Honor System. Its responsibilities include:
- Establishing and administering the Honor Education Program.
- Ensuring high standards of honor are adhered to and promoting an environment which supports the Honor Code and the Honor System.
- Assisting all cadets in the development of a high sense of integrity by making the Code an integral part of every cadet’s life.
- Acting as a liaison between the Corps and MMI regarding issues of ethics and honor.
- Investigating and adjudicating the cases of those cadets reported for violations of the Honor Code.
Being on the Council is one of the most prestigious positions in the Corps of Cadets; any cadet may apply but only the best will be selected.
SPONSOR: COL Ryan Link, 334-683-2379